7.09.2006

Always Moving, Hopefully Forward

After nearly a month away, I landed at New York's LaGuardia airport just over a week ago. Those who have at some point made the same trip are likely to remember their sweaty-palmed armrest adherence as they skimmed just meters over the water on their flight's final approach. This effect seemed equally potent regardless even of advanced knowledge gained through experience as the banks of the East River appeared every time to edge closer and closer to the landing strip.

Until last week, that is. And call me dramatic, but it sounded to me like the perfect--albeit imperfect--metaphorical support for my decision to leave the city.

There are a lot of intangibles that weigh heavily into New York's unmistakable allure. Listing them would be not only impossible, but also unnecessary. Suffice it to say, the elements react chemically when concocted yielding what I can only describe as life itself - scary, exciting, but usually both. It's the only place I've ever been that would lose nothing in the way of appeal were it to be mysteriously rid of human life.

Unfortunately, the local economy is well aware of this and ensures that it remains the most expensive metropolitan in the world. Does the value justify the cost? I think so with the aforementioned utility considered. But what when the glow starts to fade?

Well, it's a pretty bad buy to say the least.

Additionally, the city was always more of a fad for me than anything else. Ten to twenty years from now, I don't want to be riding the subway to work and raising my kids in a two-bedroom apartment. I want a house with a yard, a grill, maybe even a pool.

Not to say that I'm yet ready to settle into that phase of my life either. But I feel that, having just finished school, I've reached the optimal point at which to align myself with tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: