7.22.2006

Buried at Bobst

I've lately become quite a recluse. I can count on one hand the trips I've taken out of my Carnegie Hill neighborhood in the last month, and those were all out of necessity. I have seen friends, but typically for lunch and always on my turf.

The short of the long is that I've been busy. Damned busy, actually. Though my not-for-certain graduate school enrollment is still a year away, the GRE, and more specifically the literature subject test, is not.

The exam, if you're not familiar with it, is an extraordinary pain in the ass. There is no reading list. Passages can be taken, literally, from any surviving English or American text and any world text that post-dates 1925. There are unofficial guides--such as this one--that organize data from a handful of previous exams. The problem, however, is that they are all vastly different with the exception of the comparatively major titles.

It's true, many of the test questions relate directly to the passage provided. But in just as many cases they ask the victim to identify from 6 lines of text an author, time period and genre.

So I've been reading. Furiously. Will be for awhile. Please direct helpful offerings to me by e-mail, particularly if you're well-versed (har har) in classical poetry.

3 comments:

Jonas said...

The good news is that you really don't have to read Shakespeare. His greatest plays are all available as wonderful films. You can take a break from reading and do a bit of watching. His sonnets need to be read...but that is pleasure.

I was amazed to see that I had read every book on the list you cited. Unfortunately, I had read them all in high school and college. I can't remember a thing, now...

Which brings me to Guido Sarducci's "15-minute Ph.D."

The SNL stalwart claimed that, in 15 minutes, he will teach you everything you'll ever learn in grad school - - that you'll remember 20 years later.

soul_rebel said...

Wow, every book on that list is certainly an impressive feat. I'm still spotty toward the bottom of that one and the handful of others from which I'm working.

Your point about Shakespeare is great, especially since most of his major works will be review for me.

Also, I checked out Mr. Sarducci's guide and have mastered his material. I hope the cap&gown + polaroid comes soon.

Thanks for the note.

Jonas said...

Oh, I forgot to mention...I go to http://www.poemhunter.com/ to look up poems. With any luck at all, you may find the poems on your list there.